At The Learning Academy, we believe in encouraging the strengths of all learners so they may gain confidence in themselves and their abilities and take pride in the outcomes of their efforts. It is our belief that by offering small, multi-age classrooms, our students are offered the optimal learning environment and the utmost individualized attention. Our curriculum is designed using a hands-on, integrated approach to learning that allows students to make connections to their own lives and the world around them. We work to create classrooms that model a community where each member contributes to creating an environment of respect and support. We understand that there is an opportunity to learn and discover in each moment and that all students should have the opportunity to share and reflect, to make choices about their own learning, to self-evaluate and use mistakes as opportunities to learn and grow.
Benefits of a Multi-Age Classroom
- Students may progress at their own rate and developmental stage, learning on a continuum that is uninterrupted by grade level or curriculum requirements.
- There is allowance for active, cooperative student learning, child centered practices and authentic assessment tailored to the individual.
- Students interact with peers of varying abilities, interests, personalities and ages, promoting involvement, respect and accountability.
- Emphasis on individual differences in small, flexible groups.
- Instruction is designed to develop character and life skills as well as meet academic goals.
- Integrated curriculum is shared by all grade levels using varying instructional strategies and methods of inquiry.